Road Safety Education : life skills for kiwi kids
The New Zealand government supports equality for all children to learn bike handling and road safety skills in schools, and offers resources for all schools to make this available to kids.
Safe Ways to School can connect and provide advice to help get your school started with government funded Bikes in Schools and Bike Ready programmes. By promoting the resources available to schools through these national programmes, we help provide children the opportunity to kick start a lifetime love of cycling and safety on our roads. Through bike handling and road safety skills children grow in self-confidence, independence and overall health and fitness.
Road Safey Education will help to set up our young people with the life skills they need before they become independent on our roads as young cyclists, then on to become future young drivers. When a school adopts Bikes in Schools have identified as more kids learn to ride on school grounds, more kids begin to ride to and from school. Safe Ways to School can support this change in behaviour by ensuring road safety concerns are also captured for Safe Routes planning.
Click on the button below to see our Safe Ways to School projects. Contact us, using the button below, to find out what we can do to help your school get started with Road Safety Education and to identify Safe Routes.
Connecting schools with helpful resources from others:
- Register your school for the Healthiest Schools Challenge HERE and promote active transport.
- Promoting active transport can help your school to achieve Enviro School status. View HERE
- Some great examples of active transport education initiatives can also be seen HERE
- Bike Ready resources for schools can be viewed HERE
- Sport Waikato’s Project Energise. View HERE
- Police’s School Portal education resources can be viewed HERE
- Waikato Regional Council’s Rueben the Road Safety Bear for younger children. Check it out HERE
- NZ Transport Agency classroom resources can be viewed HERE
Other helpful resources for schools to use, will be added to this site as we become aware of them.